Air Quality Bureau
The Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP) provides publications and technical assistance for small businesses with respect to the New Mexico air quality regulations and requirements. The SBEAP assists small businesses in understanding the environmental regulatory requirements associated with doing business in New Mexico, helps small businesses meet air quality regulation exemptions, and provides assistance in filling out permit applications.
The SBEAP is not an enforcement program, and we are here to help you through the process!
For sources that satisfy the definition of "small business", the permit, relocation and annual fees are reduced by 50%. The Air Quality Bureau defines "Small business" in the fee regulation at 20.2.75 NMAC as:
A company that employs no more than ten (10) employees at any time during the calendar year. Employees include part-time, temporary, or limited service workers. For new sources, the company must certify that the source does not expect to employ any more than ten (10) employees in the first year of operations.
In addition, "small business" does not include:
- Any source which may emit more than fifty (50) tons per year of any regulated air contaminant for which there is a National or New Mexico Ambient Air Quality Standard, or seventy-five (75) tons per year of all regulated air contaminants for which there are National or New Mexico Ambient Air Quality Standards; and
- Any major source for hazardous air pollutants under 20.2.70 NMAC.
The SBEAP offers assistance to small businesses for all of New Mexico, with the exception of Bernalillo County and Tribal Lands. The City of Albuquerque/Bernalillo Air Quality Assistance Program (AQAP) regulates businesses located in the County of Bernalillo and may be reached at 505-768-1972 or 505-768-1962. All business located on tribal lands do not fall under state or local jurisdiction. All major sources are permitted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Regions 6 and 9.
The following links will take you to specific information:
Information for Small Business Industry Sectors, including:
- Painting and Coating Operations
- Miscellaneous Surface Coating Operations at Area Sources
- Metal Fabrication and Finishing Operations
- Gasoline Distribution Bulk Terminals, Bulk Plants, and Pipeline Facilities
- Gasoline Dispensing Facilities
- Perc Dry Cleaning Operations
- Wood Products Manufacturing
- Aggregate, Asphalt, and Concrete Batch Plants
- Reinforced Composite Plastic and Cultured Marble Operations
If you need more information and guidance regarding air quality permitting and your business, you can contact the Air Quality Bureau’s Small Business Environmental Assistance Program at (505) 222-9507 or 222-9583, or send email to email@example.com.