State of New Mexico > Environment Department > Food Program
NMED Home Page

Contacting the NMED Food Program

Before contacting the NMED Food Program, see if your concern is more appropriately addressed by another agency

If you you have a packaged food product that appears to be adulterated (contaminated, spoiled, or contains a foreign object) and it was produced outside New Mexico, contact one of these federal agencies:

USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline (meat, poultry, processed egg products) - 888-674-6854
FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator (non-meat food products) - 303-236-3044

If you are within the City of Albuquerque or in an unincorporated area of Bernalillo County, they each have their own separate food safety program:

Albuquerque Environmental Health Food Inspection and Safety - 505-768-2738
Bernalillo County Office of Environmental Health Food Safety- 505-314-0310

If you have questions about activities on tribal or pueblo land, each sovereign nation has their own environmental health jurisdiction. For assistance, contact:

Indian Health Services Division of Environmental Health Services - 505-248-4947

If none of the above situations apply (or you're not sure), the NMED Food Program is here to help!  If you need help with:

Applying for a food permit
Inquiring about a permitted establishment (info/status of restaurant, food vendor, etc.)

OR If you have a general question about the NMED Food Program, you may telephone or email the NMED Deputy Food Program Manager (Johnathan Gerhardt), with your question. If necessary, your email will be re-directed to the person best suited to provide a response.

Johnathan Gerhardt
NMED Deputy Food Program Manager
5500 San Antonio Drive NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109
tel. (505) 222-9515

If you need help with:

Reporting a local food related incident (suspected violation/contamination/illness)
A food recall question
Finding a nearby NMED free food safety training class
Seeking technical assistance regarding a specific food question

Please visit the NMED Food Specialist page.

NMED District Field Offices - address and telephone/fax numbers to inquire about obtaining food permits.

page last updated